For the past several years, my book club has read some of the best books on the market. During this time of social distancing due to the Coronavirus, I wanted to share my favorite picks with you. This list comprises mostly fiction books but includes a couple of nonfiction titles too. I am a health nut, so I listed some of my favorite healthy living reads. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. Since I prefer listening to audiobooks, most of these are available on Audible.
Top 12 Fiction Titles
Disclosure: I may earn a small commission for affiliate links to books in this article. Thank you for your purchases; they help support my work.
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens is a #1 New York Times bestseller. The story takes you back several decades to the Carolina coast where a young, poor girl is left to raise herself in the swamp. The twist and turns of this book make it incredibly interesting. I could have never guessed the ending.
- Educated by Tara Westover is a #1 New York Times bestseller. I found it amazing how the main character in this book was able to overcome an impoverished background to obtain a Ph.D. Not to mention she overcame a cultish and abusive upbringing. This book will inspire you to reach new goals.
- Have You Seen Luis Velez by Catherine Ryan Hyde is an Amazon and Wall Street Journal bestseller. This story breaks through discrimination to its core. I became attached to the characters and didn’t want the book to end.
- The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes is a #1 New York Times bestseller. The story is set in the Kentucky Mountains during the 1930s. It demonstrates how women were treated during this era. It was so easy to fall in love with the characters.
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty became an Emmy award-winning HBO series. Life is messy, and the characters in this novel experience domestic violence, date rape, and a myriad of other problems. Ultimately someone gets killed at a grade school parent event. The lives of the parents weave together until you understand who died and why.
- Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng is a #1 New York Times bestseller and Hulu original series. What would lead a teenager to start a fire in her own home with her mother still in bed? This suspenseful book reveals many secrets.
- Whisper Me This by Kerry Anne King is a Washington Post bestseller. I enjoyed the story of a single mom who navigates her dying mother’s family secrets. The truth lies in her childhood memories that her mother said never existed.
Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden is a Christy Award winner. This historical romance novel is full of intrigue and suspense. I enjoyed the characters and was blown away by the opioid epidemic that occurred decades ago.
Havah by Tosca Lee was this New York Times best-selling author’s first novel. The story opens in the garden of Eden with the creation of Eve and Adam’s joyfulness with having a partner. Their lives and population of the earth are portrayed from a historical fiction perspective. This book helps one understand the difficulty between marital partners.
Water from My Heart by Charles Martin is this New York Times best-selling author’s novel of love and redemption. This novel portrays the life of a Miami drug dealer who changes through immersing in the impoverished lives of a South American family.
The Alchemist by Paula Coelho is a #1 Amazon bestseller. This mysterious book aids one in self-discovery. Through this short story, each reader learns something different. It helped me make a huge decision. So if you are soul-searching, this book is for you.
The Hand Maids Tale by Margaret Atwood is a dystopian future novel. After environmental disasters, a new government is established that enforces rigid social roles and enslaves the few remaining fertile women. This book is not for the faint of heart.
Top 4 Nonfiction Books
- Longevity Paradox by Steven R. Gundry MD: This book’s subtitle says it all, “ How to die young at a ripe old age.” Dr. Gundry does an excellent job of demonstrating how our gastrointestinal health is linked to so many parts of our bodies, including our overall health. If you want to improve your health, this book is for you.
- 7 Steps to Get Off Sugar and Carbohydrates by Susan U. Neal RN is a #1 Amazon best-seller. This Christian book helps the reader determine and resolve the root cause of inappropriate eating habits. If you want to make and sustain life-long lifestyle changes, this book will show you how.
- The Future is Faster Than You Think by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler: The authors investigate how accelerating technologies will impact our lives and society. Topics include robotics, virtual reality, digital biology, blockchain, and more. If you’re interested in learning what our future may entail, this book will interest you.
- Clean 7 by Alejandro Junger, MD: This book is your guide to a one-week detoxification program. I implemented this seven-day detox and obtained great results. This program provides an excellent way to cleanse your body in a week.
Let me know your favorite books in the comments below. Happy reading!
By Susan U. Neal RN, MBA, MHS
16 Best-Selling Books to Read in 2020
~ Pin for Later ~
4 thoughts on “16 Best-Selling Books to Read in 2020”
Fabulous! I must do this, too. What lovely graphics, and clever to make 4 different memes/graphics for this post. ALL THE BEST. Blessings.
My daughter Brooke Neal designs my Pinterest pins. She is very artistic and social media savvy. Check out her services at https://thebeautyoftraveling.com/consulting/
I absolutely loved Educated! It is worth noting however that it is in fact not a fiction novel. It is the authors memoir of her life. So as amazing as it was for a character to overcome these things it’s even more amazing that this is truly Tara’s story
So true, thanks for making that distinction.